Health care providers are required to offer everyone access to medical without discrimination. Our Special Needs members are most vulnerable and often have complex conditions to treat.
CMS has released new information for members about discrimination on the basis of disability. This informational flyer includes information about patient rights and responsibilities of providers.
Provide Reasonable Accommodation to Patients
As a provider you are responsible for:
- Providing clinic buildings, exam rooms and equipment that are accessible for patients with physical disability
- Giving information in a clear and understandable manner
- Providing qualified sign language interpretation, assistive listening devices, or materials in braille or large print
- Allowing service animals into the facility and exam rooms
Providers are not allowed to:
- Refuse service or make patients with disability wait longer
- Require patients to bring an individual for interpretation, reading, or other types of assistance – these services should be available by the clinic
- Charge extra fees for braille translation or sign language interpretation